LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures - Characters & Abilities
The first LEGO Indiana Jones game has 83 unlockable characters: 79 regular characters and 4 secret characters. There are also 2 characters you can create and customize yourself and 6 special characters only available in certain levels in Free Play. The various characters possess different abilities, which make them useful for overcoming specific obstacles, solving certain types of puzzles, etc.
When you begin each level in Story Mode, you'll have control over Indiana Jones and at least one other character. If you're playing alone, you can toggle between the available characters by pressing the Free Tag button. If you're playing with a friend, you'll each control one character.
Some characters are unlocked automatically as you complete each level in Story Mode. Some become available after finishing a level but must be purchased in the Library at Barnett College before they can be used. A few secret characters are unlocked in special ways (below).
Character Abilities [jump to top]
In addition to basic abilities, such as running, jumping, fighting, carrying objects, smashing, building, etc., some characters have special abilities that enable them to do things others can't. Indiana Jones has unique abilities based on his whip. The 9 special abilities are as follows:
- Academic – Characters with this ability can solve hieroglyph puzzles. Some, like Marcus Brody and Henry Jones Sr., are scholars who have this ability innately. Other characters can gain this ability temporarily by picking up special blue books.
- Enemy Access – Certain areas can only be entered by enemy soldiers. When a character with this ability approaches a guard post and knocks, he will be allowed inside. Other characters can gain this ability temporarily by picking up a military-style hat from a defeated enemy and wearing it as a disguise.
- Excavate – Characters with this ability, like Satipo and Sallah, always carry a shovel. They can dig in the ground to unearth buried objects. Some levels include shovels that any character can pick up. Only certain special areas can be excavated. These are indicated by sparkling areas on the ground. When you see one of these, stand near it holding a shovel and press the Use button to dig.
- Explosive – Characters with this ability carry special explosive weapons, such as bazookas or grenades. In addition to being super powerful in combat, these weapons can blast through silver LEGO objects that can't be destroyed any other way. Regular characters can only do this by finding special weapons or dynamite.
- Glass Breaking – Willie Scott is the only character with this ability. Using her high-pitched scream, she is able to shatter windows and other glass objects. If you haven't unlocked her yet, you can also use a character with explosives to break glass; however, the glass-breaking ability won't affect metal.
- Mechanic/Repair – Characters with this ability carry a wrench all the time. They can use it as a weapon, but it also comes in handy for fixing broken machines. Some, like Jock and Captain Katanga, have this ability innately. Other characters can gain it temporarily by picking up a wrench. Then just approach a machine with smoke and sparks emanating from it and press the Use button.
- Small Size – A few characters are able to fit through special small openings due to their tiny size. There is no way for larger characters to use this ability.
- High Jump/Super Jump – All female characters have the ability to jump higher than their male counterparts. In a few areas, trampolines and awnings allow any character to reach higher areas, but women are always better jumpers. A swirling flower marker on the ground indicates that a high jump is required.
- Thuggee Chant – In the Temple of Doom levels, you'll encounter various cultists known as Thuggees. They have the ability to activate Kali statues. Other characters can use this ability if they are wearing a Thuggee turban, obtained by defeating certain Thuggees.
Characters for Free Play [jump to top]
The first time you play each level in Story Mode, you'll notice some areas that are not accessible with the characters you have. In order to get 100% completion, you'll need to go through each level again in Free Play Mode mode. The walkthroughs indicate which character abilities are needed to access all areas.
When replaying a level in Free Play, you'll choose your main character from among those you've unlocked so far. Then the game selects a group of characters with varying abilities to support your main. You'll still have control over only two characters at any time, but you'll be able to toggle either character to any member of the group. The more you play, the more characters you'll unlock, and the better selection you'll have for Free Play.
To make sure you have all the skills you need, try to unlock at least one character with each special ability early on. For example, if you play the first two levels of the Raiders of the Lost Ark storyline, the first two levels of the Temple of Doom and the first level of the Last Crusade, you'll unlock all but two abilities (Explosive and Thuggee) for free. Then you only need to purchase two characters to fill in the gaps. Or, create a Custom Character with those abilities and you won't have to spend a stud.
- Whip – One character in the group will always be Indiana Jones, so you'll never be without this ability.
- Academic – Brody or Elsa (free after Crusade level 1)
- Enemy Access – Bazooka Trooper (30,000 studs after Raiders level 2)
- Excavate – Satipo (free after Raiders level 1)
- Explosive – Bazooka Trooper (see Enemy Access, above)
- Glass Breaking – Willie (free after Temple level 1)
- Mechanic/Repair – Jock (free after Raiders level 1)
- Small Size – Short Round (free after Temple level 1) or Maharajah (40,000 studs after Temple level 2).
- High Jump – Marion (free after Raiders level 2), Willie (see Glass Breaking, above) or Elsa (see Academic, above)
- Thuggee – Maharajah (see Small Size, above)
Refer to the Character List below for more options.
NOTE: There are two levels where you'll need characters with particular weapons for Free Play: a gun for Raiders level 5 and a sword for Crusade level 6. By the time you get there, you should have no problem purchasing the necessary characters.
Phobias [jump to top]
Certain characters have fears that prevent them from entering particular areas. For example, as anyone who's seen the movies knows, Indiana Jones is afraid of snakes. Both Henry Jones Sr. and Elsa are repelled by rats, and Willie is creeped out by creepy-crawlies. When you come to an infested area, find a flaming torch to clear the critters from your path, use a different character to hit them, or find another way around.
Custom Characters [jump to top]
To create your own custom characters for use in Free Play, go to the Art Room at Barnett College and approach the LEGO minifigs on the pedestals. When a minifig is selected, press Left/Right to rotate the icons at the bottom of the screen. Then press Up/Down to cycle through the different options for that icon (e.g., hat, head, tool/weapon, torso, legs, etc.). Note that whichever tool or weapon you select, the custom character will also have a whip. The dark silhouette with the question mark generates a random character. The chalkboard with 'ABC' icon allows you to change the character's name. The two silhouettes with the arrow lets you switch to the other custom figure. When you've created the perfect character, use the car icon to exit.
Custom LEGO Character
Mr. AwesomeYou can run around the art room as that character, but you can't leave. To exit, return to the podium in order to switch back to your main character. Then leave the room.
Now, whenever you begin a level in Free Play mode, you can choose either of your custom characters as your main. These are the two dark silhouettes at the bottom right corner of the Free Play character selection screen.
TIP: Create a custom character with special abilities by equipping her or him with the right tools and/or headgear. For example, a character with a blue book wearing the turban with the gold decoration will have both Academic and Thuggee abilities (like my character, Mr. Awesome, here). Then you can use those abilities in Free Play without having to buy a special character from the Library or unlock them in Story Mode.
Character List [jump to top]
The following list covers all available characters. It includes each character's name, weapon (if any), special ability (if any), the level in which they are unlocked and their cost in studs. If a character is unlocked for free following the Story Mode level in which they appear, then the cost column says "Story". To avoid printing spoilers for players who like to discover things on their own, the unlockable secret characters are included in a separate, hidden section below.
|Bandit||Shovel||Excavate||Well of Souls||15,000|
|Bandit Swordsman||N/A||N/A||City of Danger||25,000|
|Bazooka Trooper (Crusade)||Bazooka||Enemy Access and Explosives||Castle Rescue||30,000|
|Bazooka Trooper (Raiders)||Bazooka||Enemy Access and Explosives||Into the Mountains||30,000|
|Belloq||N/A||Academic||Well of Souls||50,000|
|Belloq (Jungle)||N/A||Academic||Lost Temple||50,000|
|Belloq (Robes)||N/A||N/A||Pursuing the Ark||50,000|
|British Commander||Pistol||N/A||Battle on the Bridge||30,000|
|British Officer||Pistol||N/A||Battle on the Bridge||25,000|
|British Soldier||Pistol||N/A||Battle on the Bridge||18,000|
|Brody||N/A||Academic||Hunt for Sir Richard||Story|
|Captain Katanga||Wrench||Repair||Pursuing the Ark||18,000|
|Chattar Lal||N/A||Thuggee||Pankot Secrets||40,000|
|Chattar Lal (Thuggee)||N/A||Thuggee||The Temple of Kali||40,000|
|Chen||Machine Gun||N/A||Shanghai Showdown||18,000|
|Colonel Dietrich||Pistol||Enemy Access||Into the Mountains||50,000|
|Colonel Vogel||Pistol||Enemy Access||Trouble in the Sky||50,000|
|Dancing Girl||N/A||High Jump||Shanghai Showdown||27,500|
|Donovan||N/A||Academic||Temple of the Grail||50,000|
|Elsa||N/A||Academic and High Jump||Hunt for Sir Richard||Story|
|Elsa (Desert)||N/A||Academic and High Jump||Desert Ambush||15,000|
|Elsa (Officer)||N/A||Academic and High Jump||Motorcycle Escape||15,000|
|Enemy Boxer||N/A||N/A||Pursuing the Ark||25,000|
|Enemy Butler||N/A||N/A||Castle Rescue||15,000|
|Enemy Guard||Pistol||Enemy Access||Opening the Ark||18,000|
|Enemy Guard (Mountains)||Pistol||Enemy Access||Into the Mountains||30,000|
|Enemy Officer||Hand Grenade||Enemy Access and Explosives||City of Danger||30,000|
|Enemy Officer (Desert)||Hand Grenade||Enemy Access and Explosives||Well of Souls||30,000|
|Enemy Pilot||Pistol||N/A||Trouble in the Sky||25,000|
|Enemy Radio Operator||Pistol||Enemy Access||Castle Rescue||25,000|
|Enemy Soldier||Pistol||Enemy Access||City of Danger||18,000|
|First Mate||Wrench||Repair||Pursuing the Ark||12,500|
|Grail Knight||Sword||N/A||Temple of the Grail||100,000|
|Henry Jones Sr.||N/A||Academic||Castle Rescue||Story|
|Hovitos Tribesman||Spear||N/A||Lost Temple||18,000|
|Indiana Jones||Whip||N/A||Lost Temple||Story|
|Indiana Jones (Army Disguise)||Whip||Enemy Access||Opening the Ark||Story|
|Indiana Jones (Desert)||Whip||N/A||City of Danger||Story|
|Indiana Jones (Desert Disguise)||Whip||N/A||Well of Souls||27,500|
|Indiana Jones (Dinner Suit)||Whip||N/A||Shanghai Showdown||Story|
|Indiana Jones (Kali)||Whip||N/A||The Temple of Kali||Story|
|Indiana Jones (Officer)||Whip||Enemy Access||Motorcycle Escape||1,500|
|Indiana Jones (Professor)||Whip||N/A||Hunt for Sir Richard||Story|
|Jungle Guide||Pistol||N/A||Lost Temple||18,000|
|Kao Kan||Machine Gun||N/A||Shanghai Showdown||25,000|
|Kazim||Pistol||N/A||Hunt for Sir Richard||30,000|
|Kazim (Desert)||Pistol||N/A||Desert Ambush||30,000|
|Lao Che||Machine Gun||N/A||Shanghai Showdown||19,000|
|Maharajah||N/A||Thuggee and Small Size||Pankot Secrets||40,000|
|Major Toht||Pistol||Enemy Access||Into the Mountains||50,000|
|Marion||N/A||High Jump||Into the Mountains||Story|
|Marion (Cairo)||N/A||High Jump||City of Danger||Story|
|Marion (Evening Dress)||N/A||High Jump||Well of Souls||Story|
|Marion (Nightgown)||N/A||High Jump||Opening the Ark||Story|
|Masked Bandit||Sword||N/A||City of Danger||18,000|
|Mola Ram||Super Slap||Thuggee||Battle on the Bridge||50,000|
|Monkey Man||N/A||N/A||City of Danger||27,500|
|Pankot Assassin||Sword||N/A||Pankot Secrets||25,000|
|Pankot Guard||Spear||N/A||Pankot Secrets||18,000|
|Sallah (Desert)||Shovel||Excavate||Well of Souls||Story|
|Sallah (Fez)||Shovel||Excavate||Desert Ambush||Story|
|Sherpa Brawler||Pistol||N/A||Into the Mountains||18,000|
|Sherpa Gunner||Machine Gun||N/A||Into the Mountains||25,000|
|Short Round||N/A||Small Size||Shanghai Showdown||Story|
|Slave Child||N/A||Small Size||Free the Slaves||3,000|
|Thuggee||Sword||Thuggee||The Temple of Kali||18,000|
|Thuggee Acolyte||N/A||Thuggee||The Temple of Kali||30,000|
|Thuggee Slave Driver||N/A||Thuggee||Free the Slaves||18,000|
|Village Dignitary||N/A||N/A||Pankot Secrets||15,000|
|Village Elder||N/A||N/A||Pankot Secrets||15,000|
|Willie||N/A||High Jump and Glass Breaking||Shanghai Showdown||Story|
|Willie (Ceremony)||N/A||High Jump and Glass Breaking||Free the Slaves||Story|
|Willie (Dinner Suit)||N/A||High Jump and Glass Breaking||Pankot Secrets||15,000|
|Willie (Evening Dress)||N/A||High Jump and Glass Breaking||Pankot Secrets||15,000|
|Willie (Pajamas)||N/A||High Jump and Glass Breaking||Pankot Secrets||Story|
|Wu Han||Machine Gun||N/A||Shanghai Showdown||20,000|
Special & Secret Characters [jump to top]
Weapon: Whip Abilities: N/A
How to Unlock: First, unlock the Young Indy bonus level. When you complete the level Young Indy becomes available for Free Play.
Weapon: N/A Abilities: N/A
How to Unlock: The Boy Scout is the secondary character in the Young Indy bonus level. When you complete that level in Story Mode, he becomes available for Free Play.
Dancing Girl 2
Weapon: N/A Abilities: High Jump
How to Unlock: This is one of 6 characters unlocked by finding and purchasing the "Secret Characters" Parcel (25,000 studs) or by using the Secret Characters Cheat Code. Once you've purchased the parcel or entered the code, activate the "Secret Characters" option in the Extras menu. This character only appears in the Shanghai Showdown level in Free Play. You won't see her on the character selection screen, but she will be available when you toggle through all the characters while playing.
Weapon: N/A Abilities: N/A
How to Unlock: Same as for Dancing Girl 2 (above). Once unlocked, Santa is only available for the Into the Mountains level in Free Play.
Thieving Hoodlum 1 & 2
Weapon: Machine gun Abilities: N/A
How to Unlock: These two thugs are Lao Che's henchmen. They are unlocked the same way as Dancing Girl 2 (above) and are also only available in the Shanghai Showdown level in Free Play.
Graverobber 1 & 2
Weapon: Pistol Abilities: N/A
How to Unlock: These are Fedora's sidekicks from the Young Indy level. They are unlocked the same way as Dancing Girl 2 (above) and are only available in the Young Indy level in Free Play.
Weapon: Blaster Abilities: N/A
How to Unlock: First, find the 5 hidden Star Wars characters. These aren't playable, but you'll need to locate them all in order to unlock Han. Here is an overview. For details, including screenshots, see the relevant walkthroughs.
- C-3PO: Found in The Lost Temple (Raiders level 1). In the room with the croc pool and rotating ledges, where Indy picks up the golden idol, there's a metal gate on the far right. Use a character with explosives to break the bars. Enter and smash the golden head on the pedestal to make the protocol droid appear.
- Luke Skywalker: Found in Into the Mountains (Raiders level 2). In the third area, just beyond the icy chasms with the break-away floors, there's a dangling rope leading down into a pit. At the bottom, use a character with explosives or the glass-breaking ability to destroy the wall of ice to free Luke.
- Chewbacca: Han's faithful sidekick is located in the City of Danger (Raiders level 3). In the last area, approach the guard house beside the big, metal gate and use the enemy access ability to get in. Go behind the broken truck and use the academic ability to solve the hieroglyph puzzle and open the door. Inside is a cantina like the one in Mos Eisley. Enter the back left alcove, switch to a Small character and crawl through the low opening to meet Chewie.
- Princess Leia: She's found in Free the Slaves (Temple of Doom level 4) in the third area with the slave pen. On the far right is a ledge with a series of handholds where you can drop down. Down below, follow the narrow ledge around to the right. Use explosives to blow up the pile of silver bars. Then use enemy access to open the jail cell and liberate the princess.
- R2-D2: The little astromech is found in the Desert Ambush level (Last Crusade level 5). In the first area, playing as Indiana Jones, head up the road to the right to find a horse. Get on and ride it all the way back to the left. Move the horse beneath the tiered ledges and press Jump to make the horse launch Indy up onto the lowest ledge. Climb up and follow the ledge to the left. Stand on the whip platform and pull on the gizmo above. When you do, a tube extends from an unseen Jawa sandcrawler and R2-D2 pops out.
Once you've found all of the Star Wars people, return to the Library in Barnett College and you'll be able to buy Han Solo for 100,000 studs.
|< < < Controls||Top of Page||Barnett College Hub > > >|